Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Big Update!

On video games- I am very behind in my video games.  I've only had my PS3 for less than a year and have been trying (failing miserably) to catch up on games I missed out on.  One such game is a PS3 exclusive called Valkyria Chronicles which came out in 2008, a couple years after the console's launch.  I was able to pick a copy up on Amazon and started playing it as soon as I had it.  That was last year.  Nothing to do with the actual game, I just didn't have time to play it.  Good news!  I recently finished it and... man that was a great game!

The story takes place in a fictional European-esque continent where 2 large powers are at war and in the middle is a small neutral country, Gallia, which has an abundance of a natural resource call Ragnite. You play Welkin who leads a small militia group defending Gallia.  You get the picture, right?

Anyway, the story was great.  The water color look of the game was a nice touch.  I loved the gameplay.  Gameplay is a turn based, tactical rpg.  It totally reminds me of Infnity with its Command Points- using the points to play members of your unit.  The rpg aspect is fairly straightforward with upgrades and a little bit of customization.  My only complaint is that I wished there was a wider selection of weapons/equipment and weapon/equipment upgrades... and maybe more missions.  I would really love to see a multiplayer version of this.  That could be really fun.  

On comics- A coworker of mine is a long time comic book enthusiast.  He easily spends $50 a week on comics.  Every Wednesday I'd see him come back from his lunch break with a bag full of comics and he'd show me what issues he picked up and we'd have a chat of what issues he's read.  He's the devil.  Every week he tempts me.  Well I can only do this for so long before I break.

So I started collecting comic books again. Yay Romita!  Yay Bendis!  Damn you Mike.

On Infinity- Infinity by Corvus Belli has probably one of the most gorgeous, finely detailed sculpts ever produced for a miniatures game.  They are just beautiful to look at.  But there is a trade off.  Because of the fine details and intricate poses, they can be difficult to transport especially if you are using foam to carry your figs.  All that weight on its side it's bound to snap parts or chip paint.  A couple Infinity players I know carry a bottle of glue all the time because one or two minis end up getting damaged during the travel.  I love my minis too much to go through that hassle so I did the obvious thing to do- magnetize!  Sure there is concern of minis suddenly attracting other minis in the proximity.  Totally understandable.  You just need to use the right size magnet is all.  Plus the added weight of the metal beings also helps.

My Ariadna force currently magnetized on their TABLEWAR trays. 
Now that they are magnetized I now need something to transport them in.  I was going to go the DIY direction but then I saw these snazzy trays from TABLEWAR.  They are custom trays designed specifically for their display towers.  I can't afford the towers just yet but the trays themselves are a really nice way to display and carry your delicate minis.

Be aware though: If you are an Infinity player and is interested in picking up these trays don't buy their 40mm trays.  The holes for the 40mm trays are smaller than the Infinity 40mm bases.  The folks from TABLEWAR suggests instead to pick up their bottom tray along with the diorama 40mm washers.  Be sure to select the PP size and NOT the GW size washers.

The rest of my Ariadna force finally assembled.
Last night I finally assembled the rest of my Ariadna collection which in includes the Mirage-5 Team, the other Traktor Mul, and a couple of tankhunters.  Next step is to base and prime, my least favorite part of the hobby. :(

On office wars- A few weeks back when I was knee deep in the project at work my coworker - for no reason whatsoever- brought in a dart gun.  It was a cheap Nerf knock off but that's not the point.  At first it was psychological - on his desk just at arms length away.  But it wasn't long before he started using it. He'd poke his goofy head in our offices, make small talk, and then quickly drawing out his pistol shooting us for his amusement.  Sure it was all in good fun... for awhile.  It got annoying and people started bringing in their own dart guns. Now it's an all out office turf war!!!

Well, just our corner of our floor, anyway.  We don't have that many dorks.

My current arsenal.
Until next time!


No comments: