Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Skaven Update #20

Well another great Underempire Painting Competition has come and gone. Lots of awesome entries again too. Still haven't seen it at full capacity though. One of these days...

Anyway here was my entry:



The Vermin Lord!!! I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. Managing all the rats (all 13 even!!!) was a pain, literally gluing and painting one rat at a time. I was smart (hey, I have my moments) enough to wait on gluing the Vermin Lord onto his base last so I can work on the little rats. More pics and a mini slideshow here. Anyway hope you like and now I got to think about the next project for the next painting competition!

4 comments:

Mike Howell said...

Looks awesome, and 13 rats on the base is a great touch.

I should really get back onto UE... it's really a great place but forums can be so time consuming.

gmarksthespot said...

Glad you like it!

Yeah, you should totally comeback to UE! It wouldn't hurt to poke your head in once in awhile. You can even divert new people to your website! With all of the Island of Blood hype there's some new traffic coming in especially around the hobby section.

Fernando said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I wanted to say congratulations. I started playing WHF with skavens about 5 months ago and now I'm starting to paint my first minis. Your blog came up when looking for inspiration on color schemes and techniques. Could you give me some advice on painting rat ogres and stormvermin?

Cheers!
Fernando

gmarksthespot said...

Hi Fernando and thanks! I didn't actually win the competition but I did have fun painting the Verminlord. Congratulations to you for starting WFB and Skaven! I hope you're enjoying it as much as I have (well the hobby side anyway).

As for advice, I only have a few:
1) Start looking for great painting recipes for rust and patina for metals, skin, and warp stone. Believe it or not, the Games Workshop website has nice articles to start with. Then look at blogs and message boards for more ideas. Sign up at Underempire.net if you haven't already. It's a great Skaven forum and there are a lot of great ideas over there. I go by the name 'Tunnel Rat'.
2) GW washes are great. Using washes like Devlan Mud, Badab Black, and Ogryn Flesh are an easy but effective way to make your minis look nice.

Sorry if this was too general for you. I hope it helps!