Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bonus!

Hi folks! Hope you had a wonderful holiday. I know it's been awhile since I posted anything so here's something that happened recently that I wanted to share.

A few weeks ago I had bought a GamesWorkshop Warhammer Giant box at a local game store(LGS) as a gift for myself(woohoo me!). About a week ago I finally opened the box to check out all the nice pieces. As soon as I opened the box I noticed I got 2 of the same sprue! What a downer! I was ready to start brainstorming on how to build this beast and this happens?!?! I quickly imagined the idiot who packed the box. Then it dawned on me that a couple of weeks had already past and I wasn't even sure I still had the receipt. Of course, as I was about to prepare myself to dig through a week old smelly trash bin I looked over and it was right underneath the box itself.

The following weekend I brought it over to the LGS hoping to painlessly and quickly exchange my worthless box with another. Needless to say they didn't have one. I was now forced to call GW customer service, postponing my 'giant brainstorming' (pun kinda intended) even longer. I was already dreading the call- anticipating rude operators, long waits, and an even longer shipping time.

So I called. I told my story, gave my personal info, and the operator told me I'll be getting a box in the mail. I was quite surprised how much we had covered in such little time. The conversation sounded like it was about to end when I soon realized that he didn't ask which pieces were missing. I quickly blurted out the missing pieces to him before anybody hung up. The operator then informs me that they don't give out pieces for this model so he's just going to send me another box. Wow! And just like that GW went up several notches on my cool meter.

And after a few short days I got my brand new complete Giant box! Thanks, GW Customer Service!

On a side note...
I didn't realize GW changed the packaging for the Giant box. The replacement box I got was thinner and the art was changed from landscape to portrait view.

Off topic... Progress on my Skaven has been really slow these past few weeks. I only managed to paint a rank of slaves. It wasn't even a complete paint job. I actually just drybrushed 5 minis. Well its progress, right?

4 comments:

TrekkerYu said...

Bonus indeed! Can't wait to see the completed model, with tons of conversions done with all of your extra giant parts.

It will be funny to see a huge giant striding about among the ranks of all those lil' Skaven.

Be warned though, Skaven + giant smells of cheese with some WH gamers...their view: a horde army shouldn't employ the likes of a giant!

Dwight Sullivan said...

What? no more Paper Giant?

I agree why would you use a giant when you are horde army?

Seems like you are cutting your own throat. I mean, you have very cheap armies just to spend all your points on one big guy?

Good Luck. I look forward to another battle report.

gmarksthespot said...

Hmm, really? It really depends on the rest of the army list I would think. Fielding a giant with say 10 jezzails, 4 warlock engineers, and 6 ratling guns is definitely cheesy. But,I think I can make a pretty balanced list without smelling like cheese. Going pure horde is insanely expensive and time consuming (for both painting and playing). A giant is just one of the few options I can use to get that extra punch in my army- especially if I'm up against a High Elf army with 2 dragons.

TrekkerYu said...

Don't worry about a Double Dragon list for now. Actually for a while. I'm too busy painting elite Elven infantry with which to carve up mice.

When (should I say if?) we have our next battle, we can not only take photos but make diagrams/flowcharts to show _exactly_ where the giant gets killed.